Today’s recipe is a delicious keto breakfast skillet. We like to call this a “cowboy breakfast skillet” as it has a southwest flair.
Especially when you add in a yummy combo of cilantro and avocado on the side.
I love a good breakfast! Starting with a satisfying and yummy meal makes everything better.
This particular skillet breakfast recipe is made with a southwest flair. So we lovingly call it a cowboy breakfast skillet, and of course, it’s totally keto.
It’s got all the good stuff like bacon and eggs, but includes a surprising ingredient that works really well as a potato substitute, radishes.
Now, if you’ve eaten radishes in a salad or just by themseleves, the thought may seem a little… strange.
But in this dish the radishes take on the flavors of the bacon and work really well next to the eggs.
Get ready for a keto southwest explosion for breakfast!
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided
1 8oz. bag of radishes washed and cut in quarters
¼ cup red onion, finely diced
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground chili powder
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
¾ cups of mini sweet peppers, diced (tri-color)
4 large eggs
4 strips thick-cut bacon
2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 large avocado, diced
1 large lime
Start cooking your strips of bacon in a large non-stick skillet until the bacon is cooked well and crispy.
Remove the bacon from the skillet, leaving the bacon grease. Add one tablespoon of butter to the skillet and allow to melt over medium heat.
Add in the radishes, red onion, and Italian seasoning and saute with with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook the radishes until they start developing some color, about 5 minutes.
Next, add in the remaining tablespoon of butter and the chopped peppers to the skillet.
Cook the peppers with the radishes, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are soft.
Now create four large “wells” in the radish mixture by moving the veggies out of the way to allow room for your eggs to cook.
Add an egg into the center of each of your openings and lower the heat to medium low.
Cover the breakfast skillet and cook until the eggs are cooked through, approximately 3-5 minutes depending on desired level of doneness.
For a runny yolk, cook for less time.
Next, remove the skillet from heat and crumble the crispy bacon on top of the skillet.
Top with the fresh cilantro and serve immediately with the diced avocado and fresh lime wedges on the side.
This keto breakfast skillet is so hearty and tasty. It's a filling southwest style breakfast that'll remind you of your favorite pre-keto meals.
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided
- 1 8oz. bag of radishes washed and cut in quarters
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chili powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cups of mini sweet peppers, diced (tri-color)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 large lime
- Cook bacon in a large non-stick skillet until cooked well and crispy.
- Remove cooked bacon from pan set aside.
- Leaving the bacon grease in the pan, add in one tablespoon of the butter and allow to melt over medium heat.
- Add quartered radishes, red onion and Italian seasoning to your skillet. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until radishes start to develop some color. (About 5 minutes)
- Add in the other tablespoon of butter and the chopped peppers.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the peppers are soft.
- Create 4 large wells in your radish mixture by pushing the vegetables toward the side of the pan with your spatula.
- Add an egg into each well and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cover and cook until your eggs are cooked through. (3-5 minutes) If you want runny yolks, reduce cooking time of eggs.
- Once the eggs are cooked, remove skillet from heat and crumble the cripsy bacon on top of the skillet.
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and diced avocado.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 213mgSodium: 386mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g